I love challenges … especially the kind that involves checklists. For example, I’ve shared that one of my goals is to run a race in all 50 states. Nothing gives me as much satisfaction as checking a new state off my list — and it’s kept me motivated and running fun.
So when I read about the Take 12 Trips challenge on On the Luce, I was immediately excited. Travel? A challenge? A checklist? I’m in!
Now, you might be thinking, “Dude. You live in a camper and travel full time. What do you need a ‘Take 12 Trips’ challenge for?” Thanks for asking 😉 There are a couple of reasons I’m excited about this challenge …
- Yesterday I shared that we may be spending another month in Louisiana, 2-3 months this summer parked in Virginia, and maybe several months in New England. I want to make sure that even if we’re parked, we’re still exploring!
- We know plenty of our family and friends — both online and in “real” life — can’t or don’t want to make travel a full time thing. But we know firsthand that, even if you love travel, real life can quickly get in the way if you’re working full time and using the weekend to catch up on chores and relaxing. The challenge is a great way to be intentional about traveling, even if you’re not interested in becoming a full-time traveler like us.
- We want to build a community with all kinds of travelers, not just full-timers. Whether you’re a weekend warrior or a summer adventurer, content to be a part-time traveler or trying to make a change of your own, a U.S. roadtripper or an international jetsetter — we want to be your friend, and we want to hear your story.
So here’s the deal: The idea behind the ‘Take 12 Trips’ challenge is to take a trip each month for the next year. It doesn’t have to be fancy (although it certainly can be!). One of your trips could be a getaway to Iceland, while one could be spending a weekend as a tourist in your own city. The challenge pushes you to live your dreams and incorporate travel into your everyday life, and gives you something to look forward to and plan for.
Here are just a few of the ‘Take 12 Trips’ ideas I’m kicking around for 2016:
- Another overnight into New Orleans before we leave Louisiana. We’re attending a concert at the House of Blues and it’s the perfect opportunity to take the Algiers Ferry, enjoy beignets and cafe au lait, and visit the National WWII Museum.
- A long weekend in Chicago. I’ve been wanting to explore the Windy City for a while now, and this challenge seems like the perfect opportunity to make it happen.
- A trip to Ohio to check Cuyahoga Valley National Park off our national parks wish list! I would love to run their rail-to-trail path and hike to Brandywine Falls.
You can follow our progress on the Take 12 Trips challenge on the blog and on Instagram. You can also check out the other bloggers taking part by following the #Take12Trips hashtag on Twitter and Instagram.
Are you in for the ‘Take 12 Trips’ challenge? Where will your trips take you, and where should we go?